What is Cyber Essentials?
- Developed as part of the UK’s National Cyber Security Programme;
- Aimed at businesses and organisations of any size to help them achieve a baseline of good cyber security practice;
- Backed by industry specialists;
- Designed to provide an overview of an organisation’s ability to mitigate the risks from Internet-based threats;
- Also applicable to all private and public sector organisations, universities and charities;
- Offers two levels of certification: ‘Cyber Essentials’ and ‘Cyber Essentials Plus’.
Why is Cyber Essentials certification important for any organisation?
- It identifies the required controls believed to shield companies from up to 80% of the common threats from the internet;
- UK Government departments now require suppliers bidding for particular contracts to be Cyber Essentials certified;
- Expected to be a major requirement to win business in many other sectors in the future;
- Some Insurance companies now offer incentives for organisations that are Cyber Essentials certified;
- Enables a company to demonstrate to their customers and stake-holders that their data is adequately protected and that they take cyber security seriously.